The Washington International Competition for Composition is held every three years. The winner of the 2012 Competition for Composition will be performed by professional musicians of the Washington, DC area at the finals for the Washington International String Competition on June 10, 2012, at 2:00 pm in the Terrace Theater of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
- First Prize—$5,000
- Second Prize—$2,500
- Entrance fee of $30 US; check payable to Friday Morning Music Club Foundation.
- Composition must be a chamber work for 3 to 5 players for string trio, string quartet, piano trio, piano quartet or piano quintet. No electronics.
- Composition must be a maximum of 8 minutes long.
- Composition must not have been commercially published or publicly performed.
- Composer must be between 18 to 35 years old.
- Scores must be accompanied by a cover letter including composer’s name, contact information and curriculum vitae.
- Three copies of the score must be submitted.
- The composer’s name must not appear anywhere on the score.
- The winning compositions will be announced by April 1, 2012.
- Winning composers must be prepared to supply a set of performance materials upon notification of their award.
Please send entrance fee and materials postmarked by January 17, 2012, to the following address:
Washington International Composition Prize
310 Carl Street
Rockville, MD 20851