The 2019 66th Annual Washington International Competition for Voice, sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation, will take place on May 25-26, 2019, in Washington, DC.
Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 32 (as of the date of the competition). Proof of age will be required. Applicants must not be under professional management. Previous first-prize winners of the competition and current students of the judges may not apply.
- First Prize: $10,000
- Second Prize: $5,000
- Third Prize: $3,000
- Three Finalist Awards: $1,000
- Audience Prize: $1,000
May 25, 2019, at 9:30 am at George Washington University, in the Benjamin T. Rome Music Hall at 801 22nd Street, NW, in Room B-120
May 26, 2019, at 2 pm, at the Kennedy Center Terrace Theater
- Joy Schreier
- Wei-Han Wu
- Robert Baker
- Kay Belich
- Christine Isley-Farmer
- Thomas Reilly
- Elizabeth Vrenios
Local housing is offered to all semifinalists.
Performance awards include solo appearances with the Avanti Orchestra, City Choir of Washington, Georgetown Chorale, New Dominion Chorale, and FMMC Chorale.
An oratorio aria by a composer of your choice
Two contrasting arias from the attached lists by voice type
Three French art songs from the 19th through 21st centuries
Three German art songs from the 19th through 21st centuries
Three art songs in English, including two by contemporary American composers (1900-present). Arrangements of earlier music, folk songs, and musical theater selections do not meet this requirement.
Please choose your operatic repertoire from this list. The Italian, German, French, and English languages must be represented in the repertoire.
Repertoire for Your Application Video—The videos submitted on your application must be chosen from your list of the above required repertoire, as follows:
An oratorio aria
An opera aria from the repertoire list
A French art song
A German art song
A song by an American composer 1900-present
Questions about repertoire should be sent to Leslie Luxemburg, Foundation Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regulations and Instructions
- All selections must be performed from memory, both on the video and in the live auditions.
- No changes in repertoire permitted past the deadline date on February 15, 2019.
- A jury will review submissions and select approximately 16 semifinalists.
- All applicants will be notified of the results by mid-March.
- Semifinalists will be sent further instructions as needed.
Due to IRS guidelines, award winners are required to provide their Social Security Number or appropriate Tax Identification Number at the competition.
- The FMMC Foundation assumes no responsibility for actions of or injuries sustained by applicants or their escorts during their course of stay in the Washington, DC area.
- All contestants are responsible for transportation to and from Washington, DC.
- The decision of the judges is final and not to be disputed. No contact with the judges is permitted until after the results have been announced.
- The WIC reserves the right to use any recordings or photographs originated during the competitions, or any photographs or recordings provided by the contestants.